Saturday, November 28, 2009

Preparing for the Feast

"The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son..." Matthew 22:2-14

E
very day I spend with my husband is a day I am reminded just how much men and women are both different and the same.

Nick was recently away for some time with his job (62 days... I wasn't counting or anything). While he was gone he found a "new favorite" local restaurant. As his time away drew to a close, he knew his opportunities to go to this restaurant were slipping by. So, he made plans to go there "one last time" with some of his friends. The day of that feast, he "prepared" for his meal all day. He didn't eat. Who does that? Well, apparently he does. He wanted to make sure he was completely ready -- hungry enough to truly savor every bite.

Women too prepare for things, but in a way that (to me, at least) makes much more sense. For instance, any woman who's ever been a bride or a bridesmaid has probably endured the 48-hour tan-wax-mani/pedi-long bath-hair dressing ritual that often leads up to a wedding. This preparation is much more about indulgence than deprivation, and frankly I imagine has to be more pleasurable than starving oneself.

Man or woman, we've all prepared for something at some point. But what are we as Christians doing to prepare for the ultimate Feast -- the Wedding to end all weddings?

Jesus told the parable of a wedding banquet, given by the King, and many were invited, but those who were not prepared were not allowed in. "For many are invited, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14)

Am I ready for THE Wedding?
If Christ called me to the Feast today, I fear my entrance may be more akin to the mascara-smeared, smoking hair, shrunken-dress wearing bride of my pre-wedding nightmares than that which I am called to be.

But how do you prepare for such an event? I think both men and women have some things right in this respect. We have to "starve" ourselves, depriving our hearts of sinful indulgences, inducing a hunger for Christ, His teachings, and His righteousness. We must expose ourselves to the SON, until His glow can be seen in us -- bathe ourselves in prayer -- and refine our rough edges until we are a reflection of His spirit.

I guess my husband's logic isn't completely off after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment