Friday, November 13, 2009

What Is Unseen

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

A very influential man in my life once told me not to measure the success of anything in my life by a day, a week, a month... rather, to experience everything, and when it's over, look back and take stock. The distance from the moment lets you look objectively at things and appreciate all of it, good and bad.

For the last several years, life has been a series of challenges. Some have been minor and some have rocked the very core of everything I ever thought I knew. My husband learned a whole "new normal" of challenges when he became a part of our family. If we measured this life by the day or the moment, I don't know how we would have the strength to go on. And often, just when we feel that we are finally reaching an altitude above the clouds, something else comes along to knock us down.

Right now, I feel like my heart is crushed to its end. In my husband's voice, I hear his pain, wrought by the most recent downpour.
I am afraid to say "what next" for fear I might find out. So we just keep moving forward, waiting for the break we know we're promised as followers of Christ. These "light and momentary troubles are creating for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

Here in New Mexico, it's almost always sunny - but not today. Today, the clouds have darkened the sky. But, even when I look up and can see nothing but gray skies overhead, I still know the sun is there.

At times, our life may seem mired in clouds and storms. But we fix our eyes, not on the clouds or the moments we are struggling through, but on the SON. He never fails.



1 comment:

  1. This is great! How wonderful that you have a husband that is walking this journey with you!
    Love Yvette

    ReplyDelete